Make United Kingdom Passport / Visa Photo Online
Step 1: Take passport photo using smart phone or digital camera.
- Take the photo in front of a plain background such as white wall or screen.
- Make sure that there are no other objects in the background.
- Make sure there are no shadows on your face or on the background.
- Position the camera in the same height as the head.
- Shoulders should be visible, and there should be enough space around the head for cropping the photo.
Step 2: Upload the photo to make passport size photo.
Click here if you want to make passport / visa photos for other countries.
Passport Photo Size and Requirements
- Passport photo must be measured 45 millimetres (mm) high by 35mm wide (the standard size used in photo booths in the UK).
- Head size must be between 29 mm and 34 mm.
Passport Photo for Babied and Children
Children must be on their own in the picture. Babies must not be holding toys or using dummies.
Children under 6 do not have to be looking directly at the camera or have a plain expression.
Children under one do not have to have their eyes open. You can support their head with your hand, but your hand must not be visible in the photo.
Other Passport / Visa Photo Rules, Guidelines, and Specifications
Printed Passport Photo
- You need 2 identical printed photos if you are applying for a passport using a paper form.
- You need either printed or digital photos if you’re applying online. You’ll be told as you start your application what type of photo you need.
- You must get a new photo when you get a new passport, even if your appearance has not changed.
- Your photo must have been taken in the last month.
- Your application will be delayed if your photos do not meet the rules.
Digital Passport Photo
The quality of your digital photo
Your photo must be:
- clear and in focus
- in colour
- unaltered by computer software
- at least 600 pixels wide and 750 pixels tall
- at least 50KB and no more than 10MB
What your digital photo must show
The digital photo must:
- contain no other objects or people
- be taken against a plain light-coloured background
- be in clear contrast to the background
- not have ‘red eye’
If you’re using a photo taken during your application, include your head, shoulders and upper body. Do not crop your photo - it will be done for you.
In your photo you must:
- be facing forwards and looking straight at the camera
- have a plain expression and your mouth closed
- have your eyes open and visible
- not have hair in front of your eyes
- not have a head covering (unless it’s for religious or medical reasons)
- not have anything covering your face
- not have any shadows on your face or behind you
Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses. If you wear glasses that you cannot take off, your eyes must be visible without any glare or reflections.