Make Australian Passport / Visa Photo Online
Step 1: Take passport photo using smart phone or digital camera.
- Take the photo in front of a plain background such as white wall or screen.
- Make sure that there are no other objects in the background.
- Make sure there are no shadows on your face or on the background.
- Position the camera in the same height as the head.
- Shoulders should be visible, and there should be enough space around the head for cropping the photo.
Step 2: Upload the photo to make passport size photo.
Click here if you want to make passport / visa photos for other countries.
Passport Photo Size and Requirements
- The required dimensions of the photo are 35mm to 40mm wide and 45mm to 50mm high.
- The size of the face from chin to crown can be up to a maximum of 36 mm with a minimum of 32 mm.
- Good quality, colour gloss prints, less than six months old
- Clear, focused image with no marks or 'red eye'
- Plain white or light grey background that contrasts with your face
- Uniform lighting (no shadows or reflections) with appropriate brightness and contrast to show natural skin tone
- Face looking directly at the camera and not tilted in any direction
- Hair off the face so that the edges of the face are visible
- Eyes open, mouth closed
- Neutral expression (not smiling, laughing or frowning), which is the easiest way for border systems to match you to your image.
Example Photos for Children
The reasons for unacceptable photos are:
- Side on to camera;
- Hair obscuring face;
- Head tilted downwards;
- Head tilted to side;
- Insufficient contrast;
- Background not plain;
- Background too dark;
- Head covering obscuring eyes;
- Reflection off glasses;
- Shadows on image and background;
- Eyes not open/toy visible in baby photo;
- Parent visible in baby photo.
Other Passport / Visa Photo Rules, Guidelines, and Specifications
If you usually cover your head for religious reasons, or you wear glasses or facial jewellery, your photo can include these items.
Head coverings should be plain coloured and must be worn in such a way as to show the face from the bottom of the chin to the top of the forehead, and with the edges of the face visible.
Glasses or jewellery must not obscure any part of the face, especially the area around the eyes, mouth and nose. For this, photos of you wearing glasses with thick frames or tinted lenses are not acceptable. There must be no reflection from lenses, rings or studs.
For babies and children under three, a photo with an open mouth is acceptable. The photo must comply with all the other requirements above. No other person or object should be visible in the photo.
If you are submitting a full passport application, one of your two photos must be endorsed by a guarantor. An endorsement is not necessary if you are renewing your passport.